At Devonshire Primary Academy we believe that children’s wellbeing is key to their successful development through school and onwards throughout life. We take a holistic view of the child understanding that success goes beyond the academic achievement of learners and we therefore spread our focus on giving them tools and lifelong coping strategies to deal with situations both in school and extending that to protecting and building up their wellbeing out of school. We believe that it is the duty of the whole school to create awareness of mental health and wellbeing and work together to embed a culture of resilience, acceptance and understanding through a growth mindset and positive language. We have a fully trained team that are responsive and flexible to each child’s needs and provide a safe space for children.
We are constantly developing a curriculum based on the 5 points to wellbeing and creating opportunities for our learners to:
- Make connections: learning how developing skills to connect with others will build positive interactions and improve sense of belonging and self-worth.
- Engage in physical activities: to understand our bodies and make the connection between physical and mental health
- Learn new skills: to boost confidence and raising self esteem
- Give: understanding how giving to others helps build connections, creates positive feelings and a sense of reward
- Be mindful: living in the present moment
Anti-bullying week 2022 focused on how we could be upstanders instead of bystanders and how we can reach out to others.
5-4-3-2-1 breathing – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30VMIEmA114
478 meditation – https://youtu.be/1Dv-ldGLnIY
Hand breathing – https://youtu.be/4BmcV–IpNY
Turtle breathing – https://youtu.be/xaHr6mlSVeI
Square breathing – https://youtu.be/PHQ7YZYRAms